Friday, May 2, 2008

Why I Got Into Home Organization

Before I had children, I worked for a business machines company for 10 years. I worked in customer service and later handled the tedious task of inventory. I always had my office organized. I knew right where everything was. I also had a schedule that I followed to make sure I did everything I needed to do. I had many interruptions throughout the course of the day, but somehow, I always managed to get everything done.

That all changed when I had children. I quit my job to stay home with my son when he was born. Nearly two years later, our daughter came along. My days of organization seemed to be long gone. I barely had time to eat, much less put everything in the right places. I didn't really care much the first 8 or 9 months after my daughter was born. I couldn't even think about organization. Slowly however, I realized I was stressed beyond words, and it wasn't the children. It was everything else that seemed to consume my days.

I began to realize that my house had me in a headlock. I felt like I was always cleaning, straightening, washing and it never appeared that I had done anything. I would literally cry when I walked into my kitchen only an hour after cleaning it and see crumbs on the floor, dishes in the sink and clutter on the counters. I also got so frustrated with the piles of laundry that I did not even want to open the laundry room door. This mess of clutter and disorganization was stripping me of energy and sanity.

I made a New Year's resolution the year my daughter turned a year old to take my house back. I wanted to have a home; I didn't want my home to have me. I started slowly. Of course it was slow; I had two children under 3. Little by little, week by week, I slowly got my house under control. It actually wasn't that hard to get it in shape. The difficult part was keeping it in shape.

I am so glad that I made the effort. When I walk into a room that previously made my skin crawl and see it neat and orderly, it gives me great satisfaction. I can breathe a sigh of relief, and I feel at ease. I also have more time to spend with my precious little ones. After all, that is what my home is for.


For some free tips that helped me get organized, visit my site at: http://practicalhomeorganization.com/

No comments: