Monday, June 2, 2008

Home Organization Tips - Getting Your Photos Organized

I love taking pictures. If one of my children is doing something new or cute, I grab the camera. Pictures and videos are great ways to preserve memories. Let’s face it, our own memories can be sketchy at times, and the more time that goes by, the harder it is to remember all those precious moments. Looking at photos is a great way to reminisce. We have a digital camera so we can store the pictures on our computer or disc, but I like to have them developed so they are easier to show off. The question is, what do we do with all these pictures we have accumulated?


My mother probably has thousands of pictures. My parents have five children and thirteen grandchildren. Needless to say, thousands may not be an exaggeration. Trying to go through those pictures to find something particular is dreadful. Since she has so many pictures, we wanted to start her organization on a broader scale. I bought four decorative storage boxes specifically for pictures. They are the perfect size for standard 4x6 prints. We separated pictures into broad categories, such as her children and each of her children’s families. This was a quick way to organize a massive amount of pictures.


Since my family is fairly new, I started organizing my pictures early. I have separate albums for each of my children (these contain pictures of them individually), one for vacations, one for our family and one for my brothers’ and sisters’ families. This works out well. Having individual albums for each of my children will make them feel special, and the albums will be a treasure for them to keep when they are older. You could expand these categories if you like. You could add holidays, friends, pets, etc…


My sister does scrap booking, which is a great hobby. Many women do this and love it. I however, would never finish one. They are beautiful, but it just isn’t my thing. I felt a little guilty about that when I first saw how beautiful my sister’s were, but I don’t anymore. My picture albums are a neat and organized way of preserving memories too.


Looking at pictures of my children can easily bring a tear to my eye. It is amazing how quickly time flies. Sometimes you don’t even realize it. Looking at pictures of friends and family reminds me of great times we have had. It’s so easy to grab an album and look through it with my son and let him see when he was a baby. He’s only 3, but he loves it. If you’ve got lots of pictures, try making it a pet project to get them organized. You’ll be glad you did.



For more great home organization tips, visit my site at http://practicalhomeorganization.com/ and pick up your free report, "Home Organization Tips to Save Time and Sanity."

No comments: